Thursday, October 1, 2009

where were you when............?????????



man i remember these like they were yesterday. im heading to smith tonight with bhops for a couple days of mud slab routes while the team attends the ABS season opener at the new inclimb gym in bend.
these images have been stuck in my head for decades. jim karn and dale goddard were those guys in the US who were taking it to the level. the level, I as a young climber, only dreamed of taking it to. and smith was that place where they were taking it. i used to get down there with the older guys and sleep on the ground, freezing my ass off, waiting for the sun to come up so we could get down to the crag. my dad used to pack me and my brothers up and take us down there too. i remember watts tots was my proj, for like 3 weekends. i used to leave my draws on it, on 12b, ha, i wouldnt think of it now. i used to wear lycra pants, with boxers underneath, cuz i was self conscious. good memories for sure.
this was really as sport routes were becoming more popular and the smith rocks was the place to get them. im psyched to see what i can do down there. i havent been in this kind of shape before when ive been down there. but im sure, it will be nothing like i remember. its pretty hard to pull on holds that are not there and hard to stand on feet that are not there. i have no expectations, but for sure i know a few lines i want to get on. we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment